June 12, 2018

Elementary: Sober Companions (6x07)

Well. Dang.

Cons:

I'm glad that we're not done with Michael yet, but I do hate that just when things are ramping up and getting interesting, he decides to go away and give Sherlock time to recover. This means that we'll probably have a whole string of C-plot episodes before we get more interesting stuff with this serial killer. This is typical of a show like Elementary, and it's a big part of the reason I wish they had smaller episode orders so they could do a tighter and more exciting season arc.

There's a moment where Sherlock buys drugs, and we're supposed to be all scared that he's about to relapse, but it turns out he bought the drugs as a plan to drug Michael and get him to slip up and make a mistake. I think this heroin might be something of a Chekhov's Gun situation, in that it might pop up later and tempt Sherlock. But for now, I was a bit annoyed by this scene's attempt to trick us.

Pros:

But on the flip side, I'm just so glad that Michael has revealed himself, and things can start getting exciting! Serial killers are interesting to people for a lot of reasons, and I think one of those reasons is that there's an emotional disconnect. The killer is not killing people because of personal relationships, or passion or anger. Michael's actions are tied up in a desire to stay off of drugs, but now he's attached a new personal significance to his actions - his twisted relationship with Sherlock. He... likes Sherlock, is the only way I can think to describe it. He enjoys his company, and thinks they can be helpful to each other. The whole thing is twisty in the best way. I don't know what it says about me, but this kind of uncomfortable, intimate bond between a killer and a detective is something that always interests me. Obviously Hannibal would be a much more extreme version of this, but I like what's going on with Michael and Sherlock, too.

Especially because they do share one big thing in common: their addiction. It's so twisted that Sherlock is willing to try to slip his nemesis drugs in order to stop him. And what's even more twisted is that Joan is willing to go along with it. There's a hint of desperation here, obviously, to stop a dangerous man, but I think both Joan and Sherlock have internalized this in a personal way. Sherlock feels affronted by Michael's interest in him, and he's probably also upset that he was duped for so long. And Joan? Joan is worried about Sherlock. He's not doing so great, and he's not doing the things he needs to be doing in order to get better. She's undoubtedly alarmed at Sherlock's health condition, and at the fact that a serial killer is messing with their lives.

Obviously, Joan and Sherlock being worried about each other is like... everything to me. At one point in this episode, Sherlock wakes up in a hospital bed, and Michael is there. He's confused, he's in pain, and right away, he says to Michael: "if you've hurt Watson..." That's amazing. But what's also amazing is that this episode didn't do the cliche thing and have Michael go after Watson. There's a part of me that wants to see that, just for the drama of it all, and I think it's possible that we'll get something with Michael going after Joan in the future. But this show has always distinguished itself by not setting up cheap thrills for no reason. Sherlock was worried about Joan, but Michael's focus is all on Sherlock. At this point he would have had no reason to go after Joan. He already has Sherlock's attention, and he's made it clear that's what he's after. I'm glad we didn't get an unnecessary plot cul-de-sac with Michael threatening Joan or anything.

And then you've got Joan, former MD, worrying about her concussed partner and best friend. I can only imagine how freaked out she was when she first learned that Sherlock was in the hospital, and she seemed adamant that he take care of himself before anything else. At the same time, she understands his draw to this case, why he wouldn't want to take the time to look after his own well-being. As the episode ends, you've got Sherlock going away, ostensibly to take a breather. I'm a little nervous that he's deceiving Joan about this, but I actually think there's a good chance he's finally going to follow his partner's and his doctor's advice.

I'm very pleased that Gregson and his family drama are continuing to be a meaningful part of the show. I can't be certain how much of that we'll see now that it seems Michael has faded into the shadows for the time being. But in any case, I'm impressed that there's been actual setup for some actual continual character work with Gregson. Keep it up, Elementary!

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!