June 05, 2018

Elementary: Give Me the Finger (6x06)

Oh boy. This was a good one.

Cons:

I don't know if this is necessarily a "con," more just a general true statement about the show - I like the stuff happening in the periphery more than I liked the main story. This is almost always true with Elementary.

I thought the bad guy in this episode was kind of stupid. She kills a former member of the Yakuza, has valuable information, and then wanders straight into a trap. Not even a particularly clever trap. I felt like the way the murderer was caught in this episode sort of undercut her effectiveness.

Pros:

However, I did like the main case quite a bit. There were just enough twists and turns to keep me on my toes, but not so many that it became an utter mess. I particularly liked the stuff about old technology at nuclear plants, and the pros and cons of updating. I've always been fascinated (read: horrified) with how these things are managed.

But enough about that - the subplot was incredible. I love getting more of a focus on Gregson. I doubted this show's ability to keep up with Gregson and really dive in to his mental state, but this episode made me have hope. We learn that his daughter, Hannah, is an alcoholic. She's in recovery, but Gregson is really shaken by the news. He blames himself for failing to see any of the warning signs. Good thing he has both Joan and Sherlock to help him out.

In true Sherlockian fashion, Mr. Holmes confronts Gregson about his situation without being asked, even though clearly Gregson doesn't want to talk about it with him. However, as is also usually true with Sherlock, he really is trying to help, and he has a good point to make. He tells Gregson he needs to make Hannah's recovery about her, not about himself. On the flip side, Gregson actually tells Joan about it and seeks her advice, since she is a former sober companion. I like that both of them are able to be there for Gregson, in quite disparate ways.

And then... Michael. This guy is creepy, and he is certainly following up on his promise to get Sherlock's attention. He kills Hannah Gregson's roommate! Yikes! Based on the promo it looks like Sherlock will catch on to Michael's true nature at last, and I'm beyond excited to see what comes of that.

That's all for now!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!