November 10, 2017

The Big Bang Theory: The Geology Methodology (11x07)

Another sort of shrug-worthy episode. Let's take a super quick look.

Cons:

I like the girl that Raj is seeing, but what I don't like is that this whole subplot is an excuse to make light of Raj's harmful attitude towards women. He idealizes them and then blames them when things don't work out to his ridiculously high standards. It's fine if this is a character flaw, but it's not fine that the show treats it as a harmless little quirk instead of a symptom of deeply rooted misogyny.

Sheldon is having difficulty at work, because he's been working on an interesting project with Bert, but he's embarrassed to be caught working with a geologist. Okay, fine. Cute concept. The annoying part is that he leans first on Penny and then on Amy to help him through this, in yet another example of these women - especially Amy - being used as an emotional support for Sheldon with absolutely no reciprocation. It's not that I have a problem with Amy being there for Sheldon. I just wish we could see the opposite once in a while.

Pros:

Like I said, I kind of like the girl that Raj is seeing. Maybe if he can get his head out of his ass, this one will stick around for a while?

The conclusion to Sheldon and Bert's story was kind of fun. He goes to Bert and wants back in to the experiment, only to find out that Leonard has taken over his job. Leonard spends the episode wondering how Bert managed to repulse Sheldon enough to get some time alone. It's an old joke on this show, but long-suffering Leonard is kind of funny.

There. I kept it short. I kept it snappy. I felt bored by this episode and I wonder if I'll ever not feel bored by this show again.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!