October 29, 2015

Supernatural: Baby (11x04)

Wow. I've seen the fan and critical reaction of this episode so far, and I should warn you that I'm not going to be saying anything new. This episode was awesome. I don't think I have a single complaint. I'm just... I'm so thrilled.

Cons:

Ummmm.... let me wrack my brain for a flaw. The one and only slightly imperfect thing that I can think of is that sometimes the humor and the violence of the episode didn't balance very well. Like they were mostly going for a comedic take on the monsters, what with Dean's silly names for them and the awkward fight sequences inside the car. But then you have frankly a quite brutal beheading with the door of the impala... it made me cringe, and I wasn't sure if that was the reaction they should have been going for. But seriously, this is a nitpick. How can I not love this episode?

Pros:

The case itself. Let's start with the basics, here. The case is focusing on a relatively simple monster-of-the-week. Thanks to some research help from Cas, Dean is able to kill the Alpha monster and all of the others he has recruited are saved, turned back into humans. I liked this because it had an element of hope to it. A basic story with an actual hopeful ending - Sam and Dean do indeed save people this week, and it was refreshing to see. There was very little tie-in with the Darkness, but there was one amazing detail - the Alpha monster has been recruiting and transforming more and more people because he wants an army to help fight off the Darkness. Sam says to Dean - "even the monsters are scared." Sam and Dean know they are the ones that have to fight this off, and after seeing their relationship strong as ever in this episode, the audience is given new confidence that they'll succeed.

Then there's Cas. I wasn't expecting him to have much of a role in this episode. When I saw that they talked to him on the phone in the promo, I was very surprised, in fact. All I needed to be happy was a brief mention that Cas was still recovering in the bunker, and I would have called it good. Instead, we got multiple phone calls from him as he does research from the bunker. Sam and Dean both encourage him to take it easy and continue to recover, but Cas wants to help. The funniest part was when Dean kills the deputy, or tries to at least. Cas is on the phone as Dean continually leaves the car to try and kill the monster, hilariously failing even after he decapitates it. Cas, meanwhile, continues to explain his research. His frantic calls of "Dean? Dean? Are you alright?!" were of course fantastic as well. Also, he apparently found Orange is the New Black on Netflix, which is hilarious! One of my favorite moments of Cas in this episode  was actually at the start of the episode, when Sam tells Dean that Cas still wants to heal his face. Dean is still sporting some bruising from Cas' curse-induced attack. I love that this wasn't dropped. It's an attention to detail that I normally don't expect from Supernatural. It's one of the countless reasons why I love Robbie Thompson.

On the Destiel front, I only have one little comment to make. Sam and Dean have a lot of awesome conversations and brotherly moments in this episode, and one of them concerns their potential future love lives. Dean seems resigned to the fact that he'll never have more than one night stands (Dean calls these women "one night wonders") for the rest of his life, but Sam still thinks about a real future with someone. He asks Dean if he really never thinks about the possibility of something more. Maybe with a hunter, somebody who knows the life. Now, I know that I'm just Destiel trash and I'm reading too much into it and all that, but I simply adore the fact that Sam never uses gender-specific pronouns. He says somebody who knows the life, not a girl or a woman who knows the life. It's a small thing, but one of those details I delude myself into thinking must mean something. This conversation was interesting for reasons totally separate from Dean and Cas, though. I liked this because it reinforces in my mind the end-game that I currently picture for Sam Winchester. I think he needs to fall in love and get married. He wants that, he yearns for it. And he freakin' deserves it after everything else he's been through.

I guess we should also talk about the concept of this episode. This was a bottle episode, taking place entirely in the impala, using tight angles and interesting shots to tell the story without ever leaving the car. It was a difficult way to shoot a story, and I think the director did a fantastic job of finding a way to creatively use this limitation. The "previously on" section was amazing, as it basically rehashed one of the most emotional moments on Supernatural ever - Chuck's speech about the impala in Season Five's finale. The impala has really come to be a character on this show more than a prop. It's a home. I loved seeing the boys' ongoing connection to it. Some favorite moments include Dean being scared to hand the car over to a valet (for good reason! The girl actually takes it on a joyride), and seeing Dean kiss the dashboard when the engine starts up at the end. The impala takes a real beating, as do Sam and Dean, but it's the sort of physical turmoil that you know will never bring any of them down.

Now, we've got to turn to John Winchester. I hate John Winchester with all my heart, but I do love Matt Cohen, and I think the presence of John works here because it's not Jeffrey Dean Morgan, the John Winchester we associate with emotionally manipulative, abusive, and neglectful behavior towards Sam and Dean. It's the John Winchester we see thrown into an impossible situation with a wife and children who he loves dearly. Matt Cohen represents the John that might have been a good father, had the Winchesters been given a chance for a normal life. I loved the dream sequence with Sam and John. Sam is really weirded out when this guy who looks like his father tells him that Sam and Dean are the only way to defeat the Darkness. He also gives them the not-so-helpful hint that "God helps those who help themselves."

What I love about this vision is that Sam actually tells Dean about it. He discusses it with him in one of the best scenes ever on Supernatural. It's just Sam and Dean sitting in the car, talking before they fall asleep. Sam talks about his dream/vision or whatever, and he tells Dean that he was infected back at the hospital. Dean is upset that Sam didn't tell him, but he actually listens to Sam's concerns. Sam thinks that maybe God is trying to talk to him the same way the Darkness talked to Dean. Dean doesn't buy that God is suddenly interested in their problems, and I'd say that's a good bet. But at the same time, I loved that Sam stood up for himself, insisting that this wasn't just some kind of fever dream. This was something more than that.

The Winchester family feels were off the charts in this scene as well. Dean talks about how he dreams about their father all the time. He imagines his dad teaching him to drive so he can get his learner's permit, with Sam in the back wanting to take his own turn. Sam then admits in turn that he has dreams like that too, mostly about their mother. Both of them yearn for a normal life. Seriously, my eyes actually prickled a little bit just writing about it. These two boys have been through more than anybody should ever have to, and it's absolutely adorable to me that they allow themselves to be vulnerable enough to still dream of a better life. And, the scene ends with "goodnight, jerk," "goodnight bitch." That is definitely the way Sam and Dean say "I love you."

Honestly, the core of this episode was centered around Sam and Dean and their relationship. The car is their home, as Sam actually says at the end of the episode. It might be cheesy, but it's still powerful and it works really well. I love the fact that Sam hooks up with a woman in the back seat, and Dean taunts him with a Bob Seger song, which they proceed to sing along to. Too cute for words. This leads in to that conversation I mentioned earlier, where we learn that Sam still hopes for a real relationship in the future. And then there's the end, when Dean wakes up in the car and realizes that the bad guy has texted Sam from Dean's phone, effectively drawing him into a trap. Dean has to deal with defeating the Alpha, but then he rushes straight for Sam, wrapping an arm around him and helping him back to the car. I was smiling so much at all of this. Another of my favorite moments was when Dean told Sam that they'd have Cas patch him up, and Sam responded by saying only if Cas healed Dean as well. Dean says "okay, mom," which was precious. Look at these two idiots caring about each other. I can't get enough of it.

I guess that's where I'll end this review. I was blown away by how much I loved this episode. It was truly impressive television and I can't wait for more.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!