February 11, 2014

The Big Bang Theory: The Locomotive Manipulation (7x15)

Jumping straight into the plot. I have some things to say about this episode, but I want to get a reasonably coherent plot summary out first. Here goes.

It's Valentine's Day, and Amy wants to have a romantic time with Sheldon. She decides to set something up that they can both enjoy - they will go to a bed and breakfast, but they'll have their Valentine's dinner on a vintage train. Sheldon, who couldn't care less about Valentine's Day, is very excited about the train. Bernadette and Howard also come along. While on the train, Sheldon meets another train enthusiast, and he ignores Amy and just talks to him instead. Howard and Bernadette are being all cute and romantic, and finally Amy can't stand it anymore. She yells at Sheldon for not treating her right. Sheldon asks Amy if she actually meant it when she said she wanted this trip to be fun for both of them. Amy admits that she was maybe manipulating him, because she wanted romance. Sheldon decides to give her romance - he kisses her.

Meanwhile, Leonard and Penny stay home and look after Raj's dog, while Raj does some work in the astro-lab. However, Cinnamon accidentally gets into the chocolates that Penny got for Leonard. They rush her to the vet. Raj shows up, furious with Penny and Leonard. The vet assures Raj that Cinnamon will be fine, and she even gives Raj her phone number. Raj is thrilled.

Okay, so what do I like about this episode?

This was a nice, silly, funny example of Penny and Leonard's relationship, without any drama or weighty story lines. I liked seeing them just enjoy each other's company. The jokes about Penny's cheap nature were pretty funny. Raj's love for Cinnamon was also great. I loved that the vet thought Raj was sort of weird, but in the end she was charmed by his love for his dog. I hope this relationship is treated with more seriousness than some of Raj's previous ones.

On the train, I liked Sheldon's train friend. It was really funny when he kept repeating himself about the UPS accident. And Sheldon's enthusiasm is infectious. However. Here's where we get into the stuff that I don't like about this episode. Here we go.

So, when Sheldon was getting a bit mad at Amy for deceiving her, I was totally on Sheldon's side. Amy continually pushes Sheldon for stuff he obviously doesn't want. I understand that it must be frustrating to be in a relationship with an asexual person, but I'm sorry Amy, it's not Sheldon's job to sacrifice who he is just to please you. If the physical parameters of your relationship are not satisfying to you, that's okay. Amy's not asexual. She wants a sexual relationship. BUT SHELDON DOESN'T! I'm sick of this show taking Sheldon's attitude about sex and treating it like it's a flaw in his character that must be fixed. No, no, no! If Sheldon doesn't want a sexual relationship with Amy or with anyone else, then Amy shouldn't be forcing one on him! And more than that, the show shouldn't be treating it like it's cute. And if they're just "normalizing" Sheldon and suddenly he wants a physical relationship with Amy, then... well, then they'd better tread very lightly, that's all I'm saying.

I wanted to be able to say "awwww" when Sheldon and Amy kissed, because I knew it was something Amy had wanted for such a long time. Instead, I found myself really uncomfortable about what Sheldon had just done. Thus far, the show has given me no reason to believe he wants a relationship of that sort. I don't know... was anyone else made to feel uncomfortable by all this?

So, there you have it. There were some funny bits here and there, but Sheldon and Amy kissing was clearly supposed to be the focus of the episode, and I had some pretty big problems with that element.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!