June 13, 2013

Smash: The Tonys (2x17)

Sniff, sniff. Oh, Smash. I had such a fun time watching this show, even if it was a disaster half the time. I think this finale was ultimately very smart, in that it knew exactly what it was. It couldn't be an epic finale to an epic show, because the show obviously had a lot of problems. It chose instead to be a sweet and nostalgic ending to a show we all loved to roll our eyes at, even as we eagerly waited for more.

So, it's the Tonys. People are nervous. Derek is moping, Ana isn't going, Jimmy is acting strange. But before we get into the actual episode, we start things off with an all-cast rendition of "Under Pressure" by Queen. And oh my God.

First of all, I'd like to issue a formal complaint that we didn't get to hear Derek sing more, because that was hot. I also thought it was really brave of the actors who aren't singers to step up and contribute. It was a really beautiful moment when they all came together to sing. It reminded us that this show is an ensemble cast, and it brought all the characters together in a beautiful way.

It also started off one of the best gimmicks of the finale - playing with the fourth wall a bit, in acknowledging the end of the show. "Under Pressure" references the end of something communal, and the end of this show is certainly that. So, since it's the last episode, I'm going to take a look at each of our main characters and talk about how their story lines end up. Some were great, some were... eh. Let's get started!

Eileen - It was so gratifying to see her holding that Tony at the end. That woman really earned the hell out of that thing. I think they did something really smart with Jerry, here, too. Even though we want Hit List to succeed, we want Eileen to beat Jerry. In this way, when Bombshell wins the big award, we're happy to have beaten Jerry, even if we're disappointed for Karen, Jimmy, Kyle, and Ana. I did think it was a little weird to just throw Nick back in the mix at the end. I want Eileen to be happy, but why did they just get her back together with him so quickly? What happened to that newspaper jerk? They never really resolved that properly. She just got mad at him and then ignored him. Oh, well. In all, her character wasn't the most interesting but I was always happy to see her succeed.

Tom - I'm beyond happy that he and Julia are going to be working together on a new project, and I'm also happy that they won for best score. But what the hell was that pointless little detour with the gay/not gay guy? That kiss was just awkward! Why did they even include that whole thing? It really annoyed me. I think one of my favorite moments in the episode was when Tom and Julia talked through the announcement that they won. They were so shocked - it was adorable!

Julia - On the same note, of course I was excited for her successes, but much like Eileen and Nick, I didn't understand why they had to bring Michael Swift back in to things at the end. I mean, I guess I hope that Julia is happy and if Michael makes her happy, well... okay then? I don't know, I just thought it was a bit out of left field. They never brought up Scott again. He was a jerk once, and then he's completely erased from everyone's minds. Sort of sloppy writing.

Derek - Oh, my beautiful Derek. This was the best. He did the right thing, everyone hated him, but then he came to the Tonys anyway to accept his hard-earned award for best choreography. He won for Hit List, not for Bombshell, which I thought was strange, but oh well. He even took care of the Daisy problem and let the cast of Hit List do its thing on stage without her. The sweetest thing is that he did it all for Ivy. He announced, in front of the entire room, that he loved her very much and that he owed her everything. We get to see them have a montage moment at the end wherein it's clear that Ivy will keep the baby and hopefully the two of them will raise it happily together. I was so pleased to see him get a happy ending, especially after he redeemed himself.

Ivy - She gets to be with Derek, lucky girl. :) And she won the Tony for best leading actress. Her speech was really the sweetest thing. She talked about the power of live theatre, which I think is something more people ought to be exposed to. My one nitpick with Ivy's character in the finale was that her relationship with her mother never really sits well with me. It didn't feel like they got proper closure. However, she also had a highlight in the episode, and that was her song at the end with Karen. What a perfect way to bow out. Those two girls are superstars.

Karen - Speaking of, I really loved this arc because she didn't win the Tony. Ivy has been fighting for it her whole life, and Karen just sort of had everything handed to her on a silver platter. It felt right that Ivy should win, and it also felt right to think that Karen is still so young and has so many more chances in her future. I loved that Eileen went and talked to her after she lost. That was very sweet. And then she got an I love you from Jimmy! Aww! This was so sweet and I think they will be happy together once he gets out of jail. A minor nitpick? I never felt that we got resolution on the Karen/Derek front. I don't even mean that in a romantic sense, but more just the fact that they went through a lot together, and yet they never really had any resolving moments where they talked about their journey. I would have liked to see that.

Ana - Not too much to say here... I was just happy that she got to go to the Tonys. It was adorable that Jimmy gave her Kyle's ticket. She also got to perform onstage, even if it was Daisy who won for best supporting actress (I actually like that Daisy was successful. There are successful yet terrible people in the world, so it felt realistic). 

Jimmy - You darling boy. Jeremy Jordan broke my heart in this episode. I like that he's making up for his past, and that he wants to be with Karen when it's all over. And you know why he finally turned his life around? Kyle. When Kyle won for best book (the youngest person to ever even be nominated) Jimmy nearly burst into tears. His speech was so sweet. He is simply adorable, and listening to him sing is always a pleasure. I really hope that this actor gets more work in the future, because he majorly deserves it.

So... did I forget anyone? Those are the characters I give a damn about, anyway. Overall, Smash has been a bumpy road full of some painfully bad moments, but also full of some amazing musical numbers and fun characters. I'm glad I watched this show, although I do fully admit that it wasn't good enough to sustain itself for much longer. Better to end now than to end up as an embarrassment. Still, I'll miss my gratuitous hot-people-singing-and-dancing fix!

The finale gets...

8/10

The show overall gets...

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!