August 18, 2023

What We Do in the Shadows: Hybrid Creatures (5x07)

Man, this show is a trip sometimes. This episode didn't quite click for me in a lot of ways.

Cons:

I will say, one of the things that I love so much about Guillermo as a character is that he's a bad-ass. He's a fool as well, don't get me wrong, but throughout the last couple of seasons, Guillermo being ridiculous is always balanced by big wins, something triumphant and comedically over-the-top cool that shows he is without a doubt the most competent character in the cast. This season... it's basically been all losses for our favorite half-vampire half-human guy. I hope he gets some ridiculous victory by the time the season ends, just for balance.

The grotesque animal hybrids were... okay, there were one or two funny moments in there, but by and large this humor just wasn't really making me smile. The thing where they all called Guillermo "daddy", and he was having to care for them like children, including bathroom stuff... I don't know, y'all. I get that this show is wacky and bizarre, but that just didn't work for me.

And then meanwhile Nadja's plot with the "magic woman" who was obsessed with donuts? That one just felt like it didn't go much of anywhere. I also thought Nandor and Colin Robinson trying to teach about American customs could have been way funnier, it feels like a missed opportunity for more premium shenanigans.

Pros:

I was just complaining about maybe too much Colin Robinson this season, but honestly his comedy was the highlight for me this week in terms of humor. Every time there's a new idea for how Colin does his energy draining, it makes me laugh. Being a "cool teacher" and doing it badly was a great formula for that. I also liked his completely uncaring "sympathy" for Nandor as he discovered that his legacy was tarnished with lies about his own history and sexual prowess. 

Lazlo is truly the MVP of this season. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but his vibes have just been superb. He's helping Guillermo, but the extent to which he cares about him as a person seems to vacillate depending on the moment. It's subtle, but I think what we're seeing is that Lazlo treats Guillermo kind of like he treats the rest of his family, now. He is on a level with Nandor or Colin in terms of Lazlo's inherent desire to support and protect, but he also won't actually give him the time of day, if we're being honest. The bit at the beginning where he says that Guillermo is totally fucked, but then says he won't give up on him, was really funny and kind of, weirdly, sweet?

Even though I didn't think Nadja's donut plot thread was funny for the most part, I did love the performance from the Dunkin employee, who knew Nadja's new "friend" from "harassing me and my coworkers"... just her dry, customer-service-has-killed-my-soul delivery, really made me laugh.

Of course, Guillermo finds a way to save his weird creature hybrid clones, by delivering them to a retirement home as "emotional support animals" for the residents. That was a fun conclusion to a plot line I didn't super enjoy, so at least I'm glad we got that little moment of triumph for Guillermo!

That's all for now. We're already just three episodes away from the end of the season. I hope things ramp up next week with Guillermo's big secret!

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!