February 10, 2023

The Legend of Vox Machina: The Hope Devourer (2x12)

I don't want to wait for more!!!

Cons:

Okay, to start, didn't really need the second shot of the dragon's innards and asshole. Like, we just saw it in the last episode, not sure what was added by showing it again. I'm not being a prude, it's just not a funny gag to me when we have to belabor the point! We get it, it's gross!

I have two "big" complaints here, and by "big" I mean that I absolutely adored this episode so, so, much and will be giving it high marks but these were just two things that kind of made me go "huh".

First, I wish Umbrasyl had looked more beat up before the killing blow. The Herd of Storms, all the buildup, the trap building, Vax and Scanlan going inside the dragon, and then none of it matters because Umbrasyl heals himself immediately in the cave and seems to be relatively unfazed by all of their attacks up until Scanlan takes the killing blow. I think this would have been an easy fix. Instead of having Umbrasyl fully heal to show off to Ripley, show him healing his cuts a bit, but there's still some wound visible. During the fight in the cave, I noted that Umbrasyl didn't use his acid breath as much. Maybe that was meant to be the evidence that he was in some way affected by the earlier encounter, but I could have used a verbal call-out. Maybe someone notices that it's taking him longer to build up to more of an acid blast, so they're all trying to attack in those windows of time. Or something. My point here is that it feels weird for all of the help they were able to get from Grog's herd to amount to absolutely zero gain. I like the idea of Vox Machina being hugely outmatched by Umbrasyl, obviously, but still. The way it played out made it seem like Scanlan one-shotted that dragon. That because he stabbed him in the eye with a Vestige, that was game over all on its own. But then it kind of feels like if Grog had punched him in the eye with his vestige, or Vex had shot him with her vestige, that could have ended it too, you know? I didn't sense the cumulative damage weighing on Umbrasyl until Scanlan's final brave attack finished him off, and that's the way I would have preferred to feel.

The other complaint isn't even so much a complaint as just an observation that I don't really know what to do with... it occurs to me that season one of this show ended with Vox Machina getting praise from a state leader, and then a big uh-oh as we learn that dragons are coming. Season two of this show ends with Vox Machina getting praise from a state leader, and then a big uh-oh as we learn there's a dragon in the room with us, and some more baby dragons on the way. It's not a problem, so much as it feels like the final episode of both seasons had very structurally similar final scenes, and that can make the story feel cyclical, instead of like an escalation. Season one had four full-grown dragons flying directly at Emon. And I know those dragons have wreaked serious havoc on Emon and Westruun and Pyrah and beyond, but this final button kind of just reiterates the threat we've already established: these dragons are super bad and things might get worse.

Pros:

But whatever. Who cares about any of that, this was awesome!!!

In contrast to it feeling like Umbrasyl could have kept fighting indefinitely, it was cool to see our group of heroes in the most dire straits yet. Grog and several of the others with physical injuries they can't shake, Pike and Keyleth both so exhausted in their magic that their spells are taking more and more effort, and the results are more and more feeble. Vax half-conscious for half the fight, for fuck's sake. They really were at the end of the line before Scanlan pulled off his last trick and saved the day. Grog's injuries from his fall were severe, and while Pike was able to get him almost back to fighting shape, his leg was out of commission for the rest of the fight, which I thought was a cool way to put limitations on him here. It was an unspoken contrast to his physical weakness from earlier, which he couldn't handle, whereas now he fights through it, since he's learned his lesson about where to find his strength.

Jumping back, we start the episode with Scanlan dreaming of an imagined future where he's telling stories to his grandkids about his heroic exploits. The portrait of Vox Machina made me tear up a little. Vax with the silly mustache, still in the armor... I'm not going to be okay when this show ends, holy shit. And I liked Vax's panic trying to wake him up from the dream, too. These two got such good moments in the last two episodes, I love seeing this pair get attention. I'm always praising the way this show finds moments for the background relationships to flourish.

And then we get Vax's wing moment! I very much adore the scene with Gilmore in the original stream, but come on: in the same way that Grog learning his strength comes from his friends was moved to a pivotal climactic action sequence, having Vax discover his wings here, as he's plummeting to his death along with Scanlan, was pitch fucking perfect. It looked visually stunning, and everybody's reactions were amazing too. Scanlan says he's in love with Vax (relatable), Keyleth tells him he's beautiful (relatable), and Vex gets annoyed that she's stuck with a broom while her brother gets actual WINGS. I love all of them so, so much.

Vax seems to really have embraced his new mantle now, talking to the group about fate, the way they've all been led here. He brings up all the people in their lives who have been involved in this hunt for the vestiges: his and Vex's family, Keyleth's people, Grog's herd... and how none of that was happening by chance. It was all leading here, to this. They're supposed to be here. Scanlan can't accept that, but Vax is ready to, come what may.

On the romance front, we get the following developments: Keyleth chickens out of saying something to Vax as he goes in to scope out Umbrasyl's lair. It's a sweet moment, as Vax gives her a soft little smile and seems to be a little less withdrawn than he has been for most of the season. We also get Percy and Vex having so many cool moments in battle where they heroically save each other from danger and call out each other's names in fear when the other one is in peril... I eat that shit up every time, you know I do.

And SCANLAN AND PIKE coming in with the steal... after Scanlan's big heroic moment where he realizes he needs to step up and take what belongs to him, and save his friends in the process, Vox Machina finds him on the ground, apparently dead. Pike cries over him and gives him a kiss, and then Scanlan wakes up... I loved that Pike was annoyed for half a second and then just gives the BIGGEST smile and pulls him into a hug. Y'all, I can't believe the glow-up of this ship for me. I liked the concept fine in the stream, but here I'm just so freakin' obsessed with it. Truly excellent stuff. Also, Scanlan, hold onto this moment, buddy. Did you see how relieved everyone was that you were okay? They love you, Scanlan. They're your family. (I had to have this pointed out to me, but that key that Scanlan gets in the dragon's hoard is totally for the Magnificent Mansion, isn't it??)

As always I find it hard to talk about what's cool in the combat, but I remain consistently impressed by the little character moments that are interwoven throughout the action. Vex catching Vax as he falls dangerously close to the pit of acid, the shot of Percy and Vax holding each other up as Percy takes a shot, clearly weakened, Pike and Grog coming in for the surprise attack after the rest of them had already been worn down, Keyleth using vines to pull Grog out of danger when it's clear none of them are making a serious dent in Umbrasyl's health... I love all these small moments and my attention is always riveted to the screen to catch every single one.

And another Scanlan and Vax moment to round things out, as Scanlan says he doesn't believe in all that fate stuff, but Vax does. And he believes in Vax. Why is that the cutest, sweetest thing I've ever heard???

Despite my complaint above about the structural similarity between this ending and the one for season one, I did enjoy the last scene a lot. I love watching Cassandra in her element. I was wondering when Raishan was going to make her appearance, and the idea of making it Keeper Yennen who serves as the disguise works so well! Surprising for fans of the stream, even though we knew something like this must be coming! I of course loved Vax calling out "Shaun!" and catching him as he slumps to the table, and all of Vox Machina calling out in alarm as their friends fall unconscious around them. This is a show that never fails to emphasize the care and love that these characters have for each other and the people around them.

I think it's what elevates it for me above everything else, honestly. I've watched plenty of shows where there was a ton of action and violence and chaos, where it would be a big deal, a very special moment, when we actually got to see any two given characters share a moment of affection or connection. In this show, as with the stream, it's constant that we see moments of them checking in with each other, reaffirming their care and support. And I for one can't wait to see how that all continues, knowing the plot points we'll be facing in future.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!