July 27, 2022

What We Do in the Shadows: The Night Market (4x04)

This wasn't the strongest installment, but it was by no means bad!

Cons:

The Lazlo and Young Colin stuff just didn't grip me the way I wanted it to! Nothing was particularly hilarious here. A few funny jokes, and of course good delivery as always from the actors, but the gimmick of Lazlo raising Colin has already started to wear thin. I wish this wasn't the case, but there you have it! And wasn't it kind of weird that Lazlo was trying to encourage Colin to look at the world as a more boring place? You'd think he'd want to do just the opposite.

Similarly, Nadja's subplot this week didn't really do much for me. She's dealing with labor disputes with the wraiths, which is what sends the whole gang to the eponymous "night market", looking for a way to bribe her wayward employees. I'm just not finding the stuff with the nightclub as fun as I wanted it to be either! There's a spark missing, somehow. I'm sure we'll get it back. Again, in terms of line delivery, everything Nadja says is still wonderful.

We introduced Nandor's fiancé and now she just hangs out at home and isn't allowed to go anywhere or do anything? I hope this character gets more of a chance to shine very soon.

Pros:

It was Guillermo and Nandor's plot that once again stole the show for me. I'm so glad that they're keeping them so paired up and more or less in accord with each other, because I have a feeling it's going to be extra hilarious and great when things take a turn for the worse.

Any story-line that allows Guillermo to be an utter bad-ass is a win in my book! I love how Nandor is proud of him for being so ruthless with the other familiars in the fighting ring. Great fight choreography, especially between Nandor and Guillermo there at the end. I love that we're at a place where there's no question that Guillermo will win, it's more just a matter of how to convincingly fake his loss so they can get out of there without a room full of vampires watching a human familiar commit murder.

I don't have a lot more to say with this one. Not my favorite installment, but any time Guillermo is on my screen, I'm happy!

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!