June 14, 2022

Roswell, New Mexico: Fly (4x02)

Allie Meyers is a lesbian, the gays are WINNING this pride month.

Cons:

So, this isn't something that's going to change ever, and I know complaining about it is fruitless, but the one thing I want this show to deliver on is more group scenes where all of our characters get to hang out, or at least we get to see different group combos, and it almost never happens! Like, sure, it's cool that Alex was briefly in a scene with Max and Dallas, but I want more of that energy. Particularly, Kyle is going on dates with some random new woman he met at the hospital, and I don't want Kyle to be cut off and in his own little bubble like he was for so much of season two. More group scenes, please!

I like Anatsa just fine, but something in her story-line, the amount of antagonism between Max and Anatsa, just didn't quite seem balanced to me. That exchange was painted as if Anatsa was being unreasonable, and maybe she was, but Max jumped to a level of aggression that wasn't really properly explained. This episode also made me realize how badly I miss Max and Isobel's relationship. We haven't seen them spend any time together this season and I hope that changes soon.

Also, this isn't really a mark against this particular episode, but I want it noted for the record that I miss my girl Rosa!

Pros:

Okay, where to start? In terms of plot news, while I'm never going to be super interested in all the new guest characters the way I am in our core cast, so far I find Bonnie, Clyde, and Tezca to have enough going on that they do intrigue me. Their connection to Jones is appropriately sinister, and I think it will be fun to see Michael and some of the others bounce off Bonnie and Clyde and interact with new alien characters. Could be fun to learn more!

While I expressed some trepidation about where they're going with Anatsa's character, I still do enjoy that she's tenacious and good at her job, and I like how the whole situation is challenging Isobel to think about her priorities and how she wants this relationship to work moving forward. It was really tough to see her using her mind powers to nudge Anatsa away from the story. We know that Isobel has grown and changed from the person she was at the start of the show, but there are still moments when she's going to make choices we don't approve of. Also, this line was a real winner: "In the six months we have shared a bed, you have never once missed a target." LOL Isobel, get it, girl.

Liz's subplot this week is about how much she loves doing science, but also how much she wants to improve as a teacher and mentor. We meet Allie Meyers's wife, a woman named Shivani. She seems a little too good to be true, offering Liz all the right advice and opportunities to learn more about alien shenanigans. But it was sweet to see Liz so enthusiastic. She helps her troubled student Vanessa find some scholarships and get a job at the diner to help make some extra cash. (I loved Arturo in this episode, too, he's just giving new waitressing jobs to all sorts of people!)

Max and Cam and Dallas are on the case after Bonnie and Clyde, which leads to a lot of interesting developments. Max doesn't manage to get any closer to answers, other than finding out that Bonnie and Clyde are indeed Jones's contingency plan, the people he contacted at the end of the last season before his death. That's spooky! We got an Opheuchus reference, and Max pretending to be Jones. I loved Max and Liz's final scene of the episode where they rehash the events of their days, each encouraging the other on their career paths. Seeing both Malex and Echo in a place where even with external conflict looming, they can support one another and be solid in their love, is honestly so refreshing and fun!

Cam and Dallas honestly had really good vibes? Last week I said I wasn't mad about Dallas/Maria, but honestly I think I liked the chemistry here a little better. Cam asking Max: "Is he into cornhole at the Pony, or darts at Planet Seven?" was so funny. And Cam flirting by thinking dirty thoughts at Dallas is a real hoot. For now it looks like Dallas is turning her down, and if Cam is only a guest star, destined to leave Roswell again soon, I guess that makes sense. I just really liked all their little moments.

Dallas is coming into his own and finding his purpose. I like that he took a stand and refused to let Max brush him off, and that he proved to be an asset in the investigation!

Obviously we're going to end with all the Michael stuff because he's my fave and I yam what I yam, etc. etc.

First of all, Michael and Liz working together is so cute. They had an adorable excited energy in their quick little scene together, and Liz patting his face as she rushes out the door just gives off such sibling energy. You love to see it!

And then there's Malex. I love that we start off with a bit of a disagreement between them. Alex wants to take the consul to Deep Sky to run analysis, which will help him complete his work faster. Michael is resistant, saying that since it's a piece of his home, he doesn't want to put it into Deep Sky's hands. Alex accepts this, but you can tell he's a little hurt. This is what I'm really liking about both of our main couples this season so far. Like, yes, they have their moments of tension and everything isn't soft gooey loveliness the whole time, but they're okay! There's no big fight, no storming off. This scene, which has a conflict between them in it, also has adorable forehead touching and Alex calling Michael "my alien." So... that's the cutest shit I've ever seen, go ahead and jot that down.

The Sanders conversation with Michael was another highlight, I love all the surrogate dad vibes. Sanders calling Alex Michael's "pretty lookin' fella" is so FUNNY and perfect. He gives Michael exactly the encouragement he needs, and reminds Michael that Alex loves him. We're at this point in the story where the fact that they're together and in love can no longer be disputed, but there's still hardship to overcome. Honestly that's the perfect place for them to be, and it's a lot of fun to watch it play out.

Finally, we get one of the most cheesy, overwrought, ridiculous Malex scenes we've ever had in this whole show and you know what? I am not complaining about it. "I trust you to take care of my dreams"... what a bonkers romantic thing to say, Michael. And Alex coming back with "Your dreams, and your heart. Always." Also this is a smaller thing, but Alex uses Michael's first name in this scene which is always a special treat. And Michael gives him JEWELRY, and not just jewelry, but a necklace that joins to his own, made of the first alien glass he ever found. This precious piece of his home that means the world to him, and he's giving it to Alex, telling him that he is his home now. Y'all... wow, it's so much, it's a bounty the likes of which I'm not used to receiving.

I know this season wasn't written to necessarily be the last, but the amount of callbacks they're putting into the romances would make you think otherwise. The home motif continues for Malex, and you've got "the pieces want to be together". I'm also very emo about the two of them just constantly grabbing at each other's faces and arms whenever they're within reach of each other. It's just so cute, like they want to be touching all the time. From within the story, the gravitas of this scene is kind of funny. Why are they getting so choked up about this? Whatever, they're just sappy and in love I guess. But from a viewer's perspective I was immediately like: "oh shit, something's about to happen to Alex."

I know there are some people already upset that Alex has been kidnapped because they worry that he might be gone for more of the season than we're used to from past years. I really have no idea if that's the case or not, I know Tyler had health issues that they had to work around, and this certainly would be a way to take him out of the show for a while if they needed to do that. But setting that aside, I'm honestly TOTALLY HAPPY with this development from a plot perspective.

Because, like, Michael's a main character, and Alex is his boyfriend who he lives with. Last season it was already annoying whenever plot stuff was happening and they had to give Michael dialogue explaining that Alex was offscreen somewhere doing something super important, you guys, I promise. It was strange and unnatural that he wouldn't have been around for some of the scenes he was absent from. Now this? This is a setup to have the episodes sans-Alex be in the vein of a 2x11 Feral!Michael Guerin episode, rather than an episode like 3x11 where Alex is neither seen nor mentioned for no discernable reason. Alex has been kidnapped and it's going to directly tie into the A-plot of the season. We're going to get to see the moment that Michael realizes something has happened to Alex. If we're very, very, lucky, we might even get to see the other characters who are supposed to be his close friends, giving a damn about his plight. (Sorry, that was salty, I just wish the show remembered that Maria and Liz and Kyle are all Alex's friends lol.)

Point being, I'm going to miss Alex for however long he's gone, I always do. I'm worried about him, too! And guess who else misses him? Guess who else is going to worry about him? Michael! And we get to see it! It's like Christmas has come early.

So yeah! Honestly, if I wanted to grade this show on the plot developments or whatever, I wouldn't be as kind to it. There's nothing mind-blowing or exciting about the new aliens and their plans. But I don't watch the show for that. I watch the show for the relationships, and that means I get to say this episode fucking rules and I'm very pleased about everything that's developing here. Malex has matching necklaces, man, they are so in love. Embarrassing for them.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!