December 10, 2021

Grey's Anatomy: Today Was a Fairytale (18x07)

...Link and Jo? No.

Cons:

I want Link and Jo to be like Alex and Meredith. In each other's lives, friends forever, no hint of romance whatsoever. I do not want this to go there. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. That end scene was embarrassing to watch. While I find Kai and Amelia cute and promising, I also just think Amelia and Link's whole romantic travail this season is pointless and weird. They were good together. Amelia was fun without all the excessive angst. Just settle her with whoever you're going to settle her with, and stop messing with her. I'm exhausted, y'all.

I continue to be unimpressed with Nick and Meredith as a romance. He's bland as fuck and I don't understand their connection even a little bit.

The recruitment fair had some good moments, but I was super irritated that Grey Sloan Memorial had such a shoddy operation. They should have had an amazing visual setup with professional poster boards and a backdrop, etc. so they looked like a going concern, and lots of people would come by, but then get lured off by the free food and swag elsewhere. That would have been a better way of making the point. As it was, I was just embarrassed for Bailey, and confused, not in a good way, at how they could have dropped the ball so, so hard on making a professional display.

Pros:

As I said, I do like Kai and Amelia. Kai is a hella relatable character, they work too hard and they only go home to hang out with their cat. I also like the spark of attraction between Kai and Amelia, the way they're getting to know each other in connection with this super important research, and how Kai is appreciating Amelia on her own merits, not because of her family name or any of her associated drama. A clean slate for Amelia might be what's needed, even if I wish all this contrived drama with Link wasn't a thing that was happening.

Maggie's back! I missed her, she's gorgeous, she and Winston had lots of reunion sex and totally bailed on Bailey's recruitment fair. Understandable, tbh. Not much to say there, I'm just happy they're happy!

While I am cringing hard at the idea of Link and Jo, I did like their time together with the kids, going to see the show, giving medical care in the field... Jo has such good instincts as a mom, I love watching her with Luna and I love seeing her save lives. I liked the part where another person in the audience referred to Link as Jo's "husband" and she just said "ew, no." Like... that's the sibling energy I crave. I even like Link's confession that he had a crush on Jo when they first met, and then he got past it and they're such good friends. We should be normalizing this! Not every relationship between a straight guy and a straight girl needs to go in the romance direction. Let's knock it off, alright??

The recruitment fair stuff did give us a chance to continue talking about the Webber Method, and seeing how Grey Sloan is trying to offer something new and fresh. We didn't get a ton of this plot thread here, but I liked seeing it continued. We're also seeing the continued conflict of Meredith's hectic career. She's in Minnesota just to get yelled at by her boss-slash-patient, which means she's missing stuff back in Seattle. Nobody's happy, and Meredith is stretched pretty thin between these two halves of her life. I appreciate that the drama is a little more muted for her than it might have been in seasons' past, but it still seems clear that she'll have to deal with this soon!

And that's all I've got for this one. I'm very anti Link/Jo, I must say, but we'll have to see where they take it all.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!