March 08, 2021

The Walking Dead: Find Me (10x18)

Ughhhh I just don't care.

Cons:

So, this is a persistent problem on this show, where all the pretty actors are wearing clothes that fit them and they've got their eyebrows sculpted, and even if they're not wearing makeup they still look pretty damn clean. I've sort of gotten used to it. It's the "shaved armpits while stranded on an island in Lost" phenomenon, and it's just the way things are. Maybe it was because Leah was being presented to us as a love interest for Daryl, and she was just so obviously gorgeous, but it stood out to me more than it normally would have.

And speaking of the love interest thing... god, can we just not? It was such a clumsy, unconvincing love story. Leah is all angry and pointing a weapon at him, then she lets him go, and then the next time he comes back she's like "oh, thanks for bringing the dog back" and they strike up this relationship, that got serious enough that Daryl was contemplating coming to live with her, and never going back to his old family? Yeesh, what a large gaping hole in our conception of his character. I'm not saying this for shipping reasons, but I've always seen Daryl as either gay or ace or, if he does have a relationship with a woman, that relationship being with Carol. There are so many different ways Daryl could go for me, and hooking up with random lady in cabin in the woods just... does not jive with how I picture him in my head!

Leah was a very bland character. Nothing against the actor, who I think did an admirable job, but her story was the same as everyone's stories in this world. She had a found family she cared about, she lost them tragically, she's trying to make meaning with what's left. I just didn't feel a connection with her enough for me to care about what's happened. The fact that we didn't see her dead body or her zombified body means she's probably still alive out there and will pop up eventually, and I'm just... already sick of it.

Also, the show has become self-aware about its cyclical nature, in the worst way. Carol talks about how "it feels different" this time, this new threat against Alexandria. Like they're running out of luck. But why? Why is this time different from the bajillion other times there have been bad people trying to hurt them? Daryl even says "well then we'll start over" and Carol's like "until it happens again." And it's like... yes, thanks, you've just pointed out the problem with this damn show in a nutshell, haven't you? It is the same thing over and over. It is the same conversation again and again. Daryl points it out, Carol is heartbroken, there's a rift, they'll make up later and go off into their spinoff together, and best of luck to them both, I guess.

Pros:

I do like Daryl and Carol together in scenes. Even when they're going through a rough time in their relationship, they have a chemistry and a deep bond that is really enjoyable to watch. I liked the fish catching scene, and the motorcycle banter, and even the harsh truths in that final conversation between them, where Daryl says he won't stop Carol from running away this time. The futility of these peoples' lives has long since stopped being interesting to watch for me, but when good performers can showcase the abject desolation of their reality, that can be compelling to watch.

I especially enjoyed the part where they talked about Connie, and Carol apologized but said she wasn't sorry for going after the hoard and paying Alpha back for what she did to Henry. "I was right," she says, and Daryl wants to know if that's all that matters to her. That was a good character beat. I want to see how they overcome this hurdle in their relationship.

Daryl's devotion to Rick, the way losing him fundamentally changed something inside of him... that shit is good, I've gotta admit. Calling Rick his brother, staying out for years looking for him, unable to let himself feel comfortable or happy since he still has a job to do? This is the kind of angst that really makes me hope we'll eventually get to see Rick's reunions with people play out onscreen. Michonne and Rick is a big one, yes, but Daryl and Rick is another reunion I'm desperate to see.

The dog being named Dog for no good reason is kind of funny. I like that Leah was a little defensive and prickly when Daryl asked for the dog's name and she just pauses and says... Dog. That was good. It seemed like such a Daryl-ish thing, to not give the dog a name, but it works really well too, as a way of honoring someone he lost.

So yeah. Leah/Daryl was really bland and uninteresting. There's nothing new under the sun with any of this. But I do love Carol and Daryl, and getting to spend some time with them was a nice treat, I suppose!

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!