December 18, 2020

Grey's Anatomy: No Time for Despair (17x06)

Do we think there's any universe in which Meredith dies from Covid? I mean, I want to say no, but I didn't think they'd ever kill Derek off either. It is a soap opera, after all.

Cons:

Something about the way doctors talk about the sex trafficker bad guy patient was just so over the top that I was waiting for a twist where it turns out he was innocent. I feel like we've seen the doctors treating despicable people before, and they had to grit their teeth and handle it. That's basically what happened here, but they were all so vociferous about how hard it was to do, and then we have Maggie's outburst where she talks about how black girls are more likely to be victims and less likely to be believed in situations like this. And like - no argument from me, of course, but I just felt like I've seen this show handle similar issues with smoother writing before.

I mean, Teddy still sucks, so what else is new. I don't mind at all that Owen is like "I never knew you" because that's what she deserves. However, one thing is kind of bugging me about their scene, and that's when Teddy says that Allison wasn't just her best friend, but that they were in love. Owen's reaction is to laugh hysterically and say that they named their daughter after a lie. Now... I don't quite remember. Does Owen know the whole story? Does he know that Allison had a girlfriend at the time, and therefore realize that Teddy is a serial cheater? Because to the untrained eye, it could look like Owen's "I don't know you at all" moment is in response to Teddy basically... coming out to him? Like, is Owen pissed that he didn't know Teddy was attracted to women? I don't know. I don't think that was the intent of the scene, but there were a lot of mixed signals and I was a little uncomfortable about the way the end result was presented. I still don't feel any sympathy for Teddy, really, given the situation as a whole.

Pros:

I really like Tom Koracick, okay? I will be seriously bummed out if he dies. His scene with Meredith where the two of them chatted about kids and about being surgeons and being addicted to saving people... that was so great. I mean, these two just vibe together, in a way very few characters on the show really do. They're twisted, they're messy, they have a morbid sense of humor. They can be kind of terrible but at their core they're brilliant, and they will go to any lengths for the people who matter to them.

The human trafficking woman coming back into the hospital and pretending to be a mugging victim was... intense! The whole episode, just waiting for DeLuca to see her and recognize her, meanwhile Schmitt is happily and ignorantly treating her... yikes! I wasn't expecting this plot thread to be a recurring one, since it seemed like Covid was the obvious "big bad" of season seventeen. But I'm not mad about it, I'm really intrigued!

Speaking of DeLuca, I loved his moments with Bailey, where he noticed her in a not-great place because of her mother's recent passing, and calmly advised her to take some time, sitting with her and letting her talk it out. He then tagged out in order to take his meds and get some rest, and Bailey expressed pride in him for managing his mental health and setting limits. This was so lovely! Some nice bonding between them as they have both had mental health plot threads on the show. It was so heartbreaking hearing about Bailey's mother's wishes for a funeral, and how because of Covid things were going to have to look a little different. But DeLuca was calm, and said the right things, and I think really helped Bailey get some perspective.

Since other hospitals are at capacity, Grey Sloan Memorial is officially enacting surge protocols. We see the chaos of this, as the cafeteria is converted to extra space. Richard is doing an amazing job managing it all. I feel like after the tumult of the past couple of seasons with him, it's so nice to see him in his element, succeeding at management in such a powerful way. He and Bailey make a great team on this!

Maggie is having a rough time, but her boyfriend shows up in person, tired of long distance! I did think it was weird how they just immediately hugged, no masks, no conversations about their respective bubbles, but I suppose since they're both doctors, they've been taking every precaution along the way! I hope this romance stays a stable aspect of Maggie's life moving forward, as she's about to receive some bad news about Meredith...

As always, I'm sure I'm missing something. There's always a lot going on in this show. We're about to go into our winter hiatus, and we've left things on a cliffhanger: Meredith, on a ventilator. And Carina and Andrew chasing after the trafficker in their car, not willing to let her get away a second time. I'm still totally on board to find out what's next!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!