November 20, 2020

Grey's Anatomy: My Happy Ending (17x03)

Well this was quite lovely, I'm not at all upset about how they're handling the Derek situation!

Cons:

I won't go on too long of a ramble about it, because god knows you all know how I feel, but Owen sucks, Teddy sucks, and Tom, while a jerk, is absolutely the most wronged party in this particular situation. I mean, no, Owen is the most wronged party, I get that, but the way he behaves towards Tom is childish. I was appalled, at the end, when Owen gave Tom the news that he had tested positive for Covid, and he did it in such a callous, unprofessional way. Like, you just told a human being he has a dangerous illness. Show an ounce of compassion. Also just like... fuck Teddy for trying to make amends. Tom is right to want nothing to do with her right now.

I guess it's cool that Meredith chose Richard to be her POA instead of Alex, but honestly I think Maggie would have been just fine... are you really telling me that Richard Webber is going to be better at letting Meredith die when it's her time, than Maggie would be? They're both incredibly stubborn. Plus, I like the idea of it being Alex, even if he's absent... this is the first mention we've gotten of him in quite some time. I wonder if there's supposed to be an implied closeness between them, even though he moved away? I really can't tell, and I wish there was a way it all could have been handled differently, to be quite honest.

Pros:

Meredith running across the sand to Derek and then face-planting was so funny and charming, and honestly just seeing Derek smiling at her was such a boost of energy in an otherwise pretty bleak episode! I just love the idea of death being a peaceful, welcoming thing for her, but she knows the kids still need her so she'll turn back away from that promise of peace... and know that Derek will be waiting for her at the end.

I loved Maggie in this episode, how she's trying to hold it together but she's breaking down over all these deaths, and being scared for Meredith... I'm so glad she has her boyfriend to talk to, everyone needs to have that support system!

Jo was a highlight for me as well; she's back to work, doing a great job, acting more like the old Jo that we know and love. Seeing her with the little miracle baby in the incubator was quite sweet. And I liked that Bailey thanked her, told her that her contributions were valued and recognized. That was quite special.

And speaking of miracle baby! I like that we had a rare, complicated medical situation, and a big win for the doctors! We need some of those sometimes, and it was a really nice "life goes on" sentiment from the show, since we're dealing with a situation (on the show and in real life) that's full of so much death.

Link needing to escape from the house with a wife and four kids was #relatable but I like how he came back and was ready to be there for Amelia however he could. He seems like a truly good egg.

We see that DeLuca is very determined to be extra careful with Meredith's health, and is maybe being a bit too zealous about experimental Covid treatments. Obviously people are keeping an eye on him because of his condition, but I also think that level of passion is truly representative of who Andrew is as a person. I like how protective he is over Meredith, too. Their relationship is honestly kind of a special, magical thing, even if it's not destined to be romantic.

And speaking of romance, I did like the little check-in between Meredith and Hayes... they're deploying that relationship very carefully and I find it quite charming and believable.

Sorry this review is kind of short and all, but I gotta be honest, the Supernatural finale was also on last night and my brain is full of hysteria-tinged rage... so this is about all the bandwidth I have to pay attention to Grey's right now.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!