November 22, 2019

Grey's Anatomy: Let's All Go to the Bar (16x09)

No. NO. Negatory. Nopity nope nope. Yoikes. Cannot do it. I cannot go through this again.

Cons:

I'm talking about Amelia's baby. I will nottttt. Apparently Amelia got pregnant four weeks before she thought she did, which means it might not be Link's baby. Meaning it might be Owen's. We didn't get to see any more of this revelation play out, but it's going to cause drama and my brain is going to explode if we stretch this out any longer. Why can't Amelia and Link just have a kid together and be happy? I am UPSET. Owen doesn't deserve to have another baby! He has enough babies, okay?!

In fact, almost all of the relationship drama this week was just irritating in the extreme. There's an exception, but I'll get to that in a moment. You've got the "who got Amelia pregnant" nonsense. And then you've got Tom telling Teddy that he loves her and wants to marry her, and that Owen hasn't even popped the question yet. You all know my feelings about the way they've navigated Tom's character this season, but the thing is... the dude is right. Owen doesn't deserve Teddy. Owen is annoying as hell.

And then you've got Richard and Catherine's nonsense. My feelings about Catherine have always been less than positive, so it's a hard sell to get me to care about her. And now I'm in a situation where I'm annoyed with her for not giving Richard the benefit of the doubt, and I'm also annoyed with Richard for not putting a hard boundary between himself and his friend. Even if they aren't technically crossing any lines, Richard knows there's something there. He needs to get a grip. The marriage between Richard and Catherine is a mess.

Pros:

The one exception to my distaste for relationship drama is the stuff going on with Meredith and Andrew. Meredith is aloof, although clearly hurt that Andrew has broken up with her. Andrew sees it differently, but gets some sense knocked into him by Link and Nico. Nico says that his boyfriend isn't his 'equal' when it comes to surgery, but that doesn't mean he doesn't respect him. Link points out that Andrew is still a resident. Meredith isn't going to respect him for demanding that she change her perspective on his surgical skills. It's not practical, and when framed this way, it's clear that Andrew was wrong to give Meredith such a confusing and muddled ultimatum. But also? The power imbalance is there between Meredith and DeLuca. She's got this incredible career already under her belt, and that's going to be a factor.

One episode isn't enough on which to base a full opinion, but my first instinct about McWidow, as Cristina so delightful nicknames him over text, is that he's going to be a fun addition to the cast. He's a lot more obvious as someone that Meredith could click with. They've got the one big, huge thing in common, that of having lost their spouses, and it sounds like this guy has a chip on his shoulder about how the doctors handled it, the same way that Meredith does. He's brusque and a straight-shooter, which Meredith will probably admire, and could also keep their relationship interesting and challenging. I'm not necessarily ready to write off Andrew's chances, but I'm definitely okay with this particular love triangle.

Amelia's baby news has me annoyed as all hell. Bailey's baby news has me very, very sad. I thought Bailey getting pregnant was kind of stupid, because it felt like the only thing the writers could think of to do was to make all of the ladies pregnant. But seeing how excited Ben and Miranda were about the idea had really started to turn me around. And now... poor, poor Bailey. The tragedy of her running in to Amelia in the halls afterwards, not ready to say the truth... oh my goodness. She was so excited and hopeful, and then it all came crashing down. Miscarriage is a really common thing that doesn't get talked about enough, and knowing Grey's Anatomy, it makes sense that at least one of the pregnancies was going to be traumatic in some way. Bailey pushes Ben away, not ready to accept his comfort. I hope Bailey will be okay.

In other baby drama news... Jo volunteers to come get babies who are left at fire stations, and she gets the call while Alex is out of town helping his mother. She ends up over at Station 19, chatting with Ben and with other characters who I assume are on that show. At the end of the episode, she calls Link over, for him to find that she's taken the baby boy home with her instead of handing him over to social services. As some people in her life predicted, maybe Jo is doing too much too soon...

I mean, this is some soap opera goodness right here. Jo has been doing so good about handling her trauma, but obviously things are not as cut and dry as all that. I liked how kind and supportive Ben was being of Jo when she came to the station for the baby, and it just exacerbated how badly it sucks that he and Bailey lost their child. I'll be interested in what happens after this. Will Jo and Alex end up keeping the baby? That seems ill advised, but crazier things have certainly happened.

Maggie's character has been zig-zagging all over the place for me this season. In last week's episode I was annoyed as hell about the drama with her and Jackson. And then this week, I'm feeling terrible for her as she faces an awful setback in the OR and quits her job. After what happened with her newfound cousin, it makes sense that she'd be shaky. And now another patient who should have been okay is potentially dying. They really made this patient the most sympathetic and adorable they possibly could, showing him with his wife and their newborn, and how happy and confident everyone is about the surgery. I really, really hope he pulls through and I hope Maggie is able to get her act together. As frustrating as she is sometimes, I like her when she sticks to medical stories.

Nico and Levi spend the episode being extra adorable, making out in an on-call room, Nico promising Levi a reward for putting up with his judgmental fellow residents. And then at the end, someone drives a car into the bar where the couple, along with other characters such as Ben, are all enjoying some after-work drinks. So that's our cliffhanger, as I'm sure someone we know and love will be in mortal peril when we check back in come January. I for one hope it's Nico or Levi, so we can get fun angst, but then of course I demand that everyone comes out alive, because I'm just starting to get to know this couple and I'm not ready for tragedy to strike!

So that's that. We're on break until 2020, when the drama shall continue as scheduled. Despite my frustrations with a few elements at play here, I'm still of course eager to tune in for more.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!