October 16, 2019

Arrow: Starling City (8x01)

Tommy! This show knows how to hook me, and really there's only one reliable way nowadays: Tommy Merlyn.

Cons:

Going in to this season, I was feeling pretty skeptical about my level of interest. And while I greatly enjoyed this premiere, a few of my fears did indeed prove to be founded. For one, I do not watch any of the other shows in the Arrowverse, and I honestly don't think I'm going to. There's this whole "Crisis" thing that all the shows are building to for their big crossover event, and I just refuse to get looped in. I'm sure it's cool for those who also watch Flash and Supergirl and Batwoman and whatever else, but for me, the looming crossover just detracts from the stuff happening in this specific show, with these specific characters.

Also, we see Oliver's journey from where we left him at the end of last season, and we also see the future stuff, with Mia, William, et. al. All of last season, I kept waiting for things to snap into place so that I could enjoy this future of Star City. All the time, I thought the point was to prevent such a dark future, but instead we're just... there now. And there's nothing really interesting or compelling about it. See, I like Mia and William well enough. But I really don't know anything about these other characters. It's probably my fault for not paying enough attention last season, but there were so many moments where I couldn't remember why certain characters were behaving the way they were. Why is J.J. evil? And Connor is his... brother? Are they both John and Lyla's sons? Was this explained last season and I was just watching with glazed-over eyes and missed it? Where is John Diggle in the future? Did we ever get a firm answer on that? It's annoying to still not be clear on the circumstances of this world.

Everything about seeing Moira and Malcolm and Tommy again was so wonderful that I got really pissed off when the world suddenly started to unravel right there at the end. I wanted Oliver to spend the whole damn season there, or I wanted Tommy to come through with him to Oliver's original world so we could hang out with him some more. It was a situation where the first episode had so many things I adored about it, that I worry the rest of the season is going to be a drag in comparison.

Pros:

There were a few things about the future stuff that I liked. It's sweet seeing Mia and William bonding, or at least William trying to bond, and Mia barely tolerating the attempt. We saw the start of this dynamic last season, but I'm anxious to see more bonding as brother and sister between these two. (Although, can I just say the casting is funny? Isn't William supposed to be like twelve years older than Mia? I think the actors' ages map out correctly, but William is being played like a fresh-faced twenty-something, not a forty-year-old. And can we get him a boyfriend, please?).

I also like the way that William is taking on the Overwatch position, since it just cements how much Felicity really is his mother, even after all the time they spent apart. It's cute to see him be the tech guy, while Mia and the others kick ass out on the field. We're seeing that they aren't exactly a well-oiled machine at this point, and while there are many things about this whole plot thread that I don't like, I think I could really enjoy spending some time watching them become better as a unit.

Okay but honestly, this whole premiere was made for me the second I realized that Oliver was back at his own Season One origin story. Only this time, it's been twelve years, instead of just five. And this time, Oliver is coming back to a world where his mother married Malcolm Merlyn, Thea died in a drug overdose on her eighteenth birthday, and Tommy has turned evil and is trying to pull off his own Undertaking, to take down the Glades in revenge for what happened to Thea. With the assistance of Dinah and Rene, who are corrupt. Oh, and Adrian Chase is the Hood in this universe, with Laurel assisting as the Black Canary. Things are twisty, and the whole story-line was giving me so much joy from the very first minute.

Oliver is on this version of Earth for a very clear purpose - he's got to retrieve a science-y thing to help prevent the Crisis or whatever. Nobody really cares about the specifics. He expects to die, and wants to do this alone, which is why it's very frustrating to him that John Diggle - his John Diggle - has followed him to this dimension to help him out. Talk about brotherhood! These two are so sweet together. Oliver spends a good chunk of the episode saying that he has to go it alone because he's trying to "contain the blast" and not let anyone else get hurt. And then Diggle points out that this is stupid, and that he's not going to stand there and let Oliver go quietly into that good night. Of course Oliver tries to escape, and John finds him and saves him, and it's all just very cute. The fact that John was willing to follow Oliver into such obvious danger warms my heart in the best way. I loved that moment when Oliver realized that the John Diggle he was talking to was the one he already knew. There was such a sense of mingled relief and exasperation. So sweet.

I have ALL THE FEELS about Moira and Tommy. My favorite seasons of Arrow were the early ones, when the show was half superhero drama, and half family soap opera. I loved all of the family and relationship stuff that has kind of fallen by the wayside in later seasons, and seeing Moira and Tommy again was just such a shot of adrenaline for me. Obviously, Oliver is playing a role here. He's back to pretending that he's spent all of that time on an island by himself. He can drink in the sight of his dead mother and dead best friend and play it off as just missing them, when in reality, he's seeing them again after their deaths. It's all sorts of emotional and I am all about it.

I particularly like thinking about how this Moira fits in with the events of this particular universe. We know she was caught up in a lot of shady stuff, but we also know how much she would do for her kids. Imagining her in a world where she believes Oliver to be dead, and then Thea dies too... that is so extra-strength tragic. Like I said, I wish we could have stuck around longer and explored this more.

And Tommy. Tommy. I don't think I've ever been more enamored with a character on a show that was really only around for such a short amount of the run time. I can't even really pin down what I like about it so much. I think maybe it's because Tommy is the one vestige of who Oliver was in his childhood that always seems to be strong enough to break through his trauma. He loves Tommy. He will never stop grieving for him. And here we get to see Tommy going down a dark path, and Oliver gets to save him with a speech about the good person Oliver knows him to be. It was all just so lovely. I also adore the two of them bonding over Thea. Oliver is obviously devastated to hear the news, but it's Tommy this time who has had to live with losing his sister in a very real way. The moment when Tommy is apologizing to Oliver, telling him he tried to look after her... ugh. Be still my beating heart. I wish Tommy could be back on the show permanently! I would kill for that!

Adrian Chase felt like an odd choice to be this world's version of the Arrow, but it was kind of funny to see Oliver just accept it and roll with the punches. It was very much a situation of "well, this might as well happen." And seeing Laurel in her element as the Canary was wonderful. There was even a really sweet moment when Oliver tells her that she's a hero and this world is safe in her hands, and it felt like such a touching capstone to their tumultuous relationship. 

I guess I'll end this review by saying that Stephen Amell really knocked it out of the park. There was a lot going on here - Oliver having to act like a different version of himself, coming face to face with long dead enemies and friends alike, trying to stay focused on his mission while missing Felicity and his children... Amell does a great job of handling all of the crazy emotions and bringing the audience up to speed on the strange circumstances. I know this show has definitely seen better days, but they've got a strong leading man at the helm, and I'm still along for the ride.

That's all I've got! I worry that this premiere isn't a sign of good things to come, but rather a high-point in nostalgia that will artificially make the rest of the season seem a bit lackluster in comparison. But I'll admit I'm excited to see what's next. How is Oliver going to justify being back in his own world and not checking in on Felicity and baby Mia? I guess we'll find out soon!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!