August 22, 2019

Suits: Whatever It Takes (9x06)

I'm having a problem, and that problem is... I don't care?

Cons:

I talked about this in last week's review, but it's really hitting home for me here... now that I've had a tantalizing taste of Mike being back, nothing else about this show is really holding my interest. And even setting aside my personal obsession with Mike Ross, I felt like this episode failed on a fundamental level to deal with the fall-out of what happened last week. Sure, the episode focused on Samantha getting fired, but other than one biting comment from Robert (who still calls his son-in-law "Mike Ross" with a contempt that I find really troubling), nobody really bothered to address the Mike and Harvey fight. You would think that Donna would at least check in with Harvey, make sure he's okay, considering that one of his best friends in the world just yelled at him and stormed out of his house. But apparently not.

And my apathy for this episode extends over most of what was going on in the main plot. I didn't hate the stuff with Faye, and her ex-husband, and the debate about crossing lines. It was all fine. But it was also a little bit formulaic. Louis, Donna, Harvey, and Alex agree to do "whatever it takes" to get Samantha her job back. They find dirt on Faye, but when it becomes morally really awful to turn on Faye because of family reasons, they do the right thing and take the high road. Hopefully this means there will be a bridge between Faye and the others and that progress can be made, but at the same time, it all felt very by-the-numbers. Samantha is the kind of person who never takes this crap lying down. And now, because the plot needs her to, she's decided she's benevolently okay with Harvey giving up a chance to save her career. I know the episode provided explanations, but the explanations are a little lukewarm in my opinion.

My least favorite part of the episode was Samantha and Alex trying to get the FBI to find information on Faye. It was a closed circle that went nowhere. Will Alex and Samantha cross a line? Yes. But then Robert steps in, manages to get Samantha out of hot water, but also nullifies the possibility of getting dirt on Faye. So it's a zero-sum-game, and taught me nothing new about these characters and their relationships.

Pros:

This is probably a predictable turn of events, but my favorite part of the episode was the Katrina and Brian subplot. I love seeing a story that focuses on a woman, on the intersection of her career and her feelings, where she chooses her career, and is not demonized for that choice. Her feelings for Brian are not dismissed as being insignificant. In fact, they have a huge impact on her and her work. But she doesn't give in. She doesn't jeopardize a marriage, and perhaps more importantly, she doesn't put herself through the heartbreak of this scenario. She knows the boundaries she needs to set for herself, and while it's difficult, she ultimately does stick to those boundaries.

Also, we see the developing bond between Katrina and Susan. Susan is, in some ways, a little sketchy in the things she's willing to do, and the way she goes about pulling them off. But this is no different than most of the core characters on this show, and I like that Katrina has decided to mentor and mold her, without steamrolling her entirely. She wants an associate who isn't afraid to speak up when she's in the wrong, and that's what Susan is to her. I was worried that this episode might represent a rift for them, but instead it brought them closer and formalized their relationship as partner and associate.

As I said, I'm somewhat lukewarm on the stuff with Faye this week, but I do like the part where Faye comes to Harvey and tells him the truth about what she did to cover up her ex-husband's crimes, and her motivations. Harvey thinks he has a smoking gun that will solve all of their problems, and maybe he does. But motivations matter, in this world where the law is constantly rubbing elbows with personal morality and individual ethical standards. Harvey knows he has a card to play against Faye, but playing it takes him away form being the person he wants to be. Donna, ever the standard-bearer for Harvey's conscience, reminds him of this. Louis, in a classic Suits bathroom confrontation scene, reminds Harvey of this, too. And in the end, despite Harvey's guilt about Samantha, he doesn't go for the low blow.

I guess what I'm saying is that the main plot this week with Faye wasn't mind-blowing or innovative or exciting, but it is tonally consistent, and it fits with the character development. And I do like the idea of the ice thawing somewhat between Faye and the others. It makes for more interesting television if the relationship between these characters shifts throughout the course of the season, instead of remaining static.

One final note: I loved Gretchen leveraging a favor to make Harvey throw a baby shower for Louis. It was one of those goofy yet sincere moments that showed how much Gretchen cares about Louis, and also how much Harvey has changed over the years. Sure, he grumbles about it for a moment, but he ultimately agrees. Hilarious. Louis rushing forward to give Gretchen a big hug was also just the perfect little button for the scene.

And that's that. There are only ten episodes this season, if I'm remembering correctly, which means we are fast rounding the corner to saying goodbye to this show for good. I've heard that Mike will be back at least once more, but I've had trouble finding official word on that... y'all know that's the main reason I'm still interested, though!

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!