July 06, 2019

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Collision Course (Part I) (6x08)

This episode felt like set-up, because that's what it is. Not a bad thing in principle, but definitely a tad underwhelming.

Cons:

This whole episode is just a set-up for things to converge in next week's episode. Maybe I'd be a little kinder to it if the two-parter was happening in the same week, so this didn't feel like act one without a climax. Fitz and Simmons are on a space ship, close to home, but also on that space ship is Sarge's enemy, Izel, who is apparently maybe the one blowing up planets? She's hunting for the Monoliths. And Sarge is leaving his people to die, and Mack is still struggling with being a leader, and May and Daisy are frustrated by having to work with Sarge, and Deke is being a dork, and... then the episode ends. I wanted more.

Also, let's zero in on Deke a bit. I've enjoyed him as comic relief for the most part this season. It's sort of like he's replacing Season One Fitzsimmons as the genius who is also a totally awkward dork. But having him get with one of Sarge's minions, and be totally devoted to her with no buildup? Ugh. Also, we got a reminder of his creepy holographic version of Daisy, as Mack threatens to tell her about it, and that kind of "joke" just really rubs me the wrong way. I want to find a balance with Deke's character that I think this episode is missing.

Pros:

The Fitzsimmons stuff was cute. I like that Fitz is jealous of his alternate self. It's played partially for humor here, and Fitz himself knows exactly how irrational he's being... but how can he help it? I anticipate that we'll have some light angst about this moving forward, but I actually think it's a great way of keeping drama in their relationship without forcing another separation. And I like it when things have consequences. Often in shows like this, the characters never get a chance to really feel and deal with the repeated traumas they are all forced to endure. It makes sense that Fitz dying, and Simmons tracking a version of him down in deep space, would have consequences for them moving forward.

I'm intrigued by Izel as a potential villain. I think we're meant to trust Sarge a bit more than her, because Sarge seems to be telling the truth about the risk to Earth and other planets, and Izel is certainly a sinister figure. It's awesome that Izel was introduced as a helping hand, a way for Fitzsimmons to get home... but now things are so much more complicated, so quickly.

We've been waiting all season for the various stories to converge, and here we have a truly brilliant setup for just that. There's a ship in the sky, and Sarge says it's a threat. S.H.I.E.L.D. has no reason to doubt him, although they are against his plan of just blowing it up on-sight, because of the civilian casualties. Fitzsimmons can't communicate with their team, and S.H.I.E.L.D. can't communicate with the mysterious ship. There's so much tension, so much potential, with this setup, and I can't wait to see it all come to a head next week!

Also... Enoch!! I'm a little bewildered at why they'd give him a goodbye scene and then show him again so soon, but I'm glad to see him. I don't have much to say about this yet, we'll have to see how it goes.

In the comedy corner, I must tip my hat to Sarge, who says that Izel is all about hate, while he is motivated by love. When Daisy and May give him a look, he concedes: "no, it's hate. Hate's my thing too." That was hilarious, and a pitch-perfect delivery from Clark Gregg.

And that's all I've got for now! This episode may have been slightly underwhelming on its own, but I trust it as buildup to something a lot more exciting.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!