December 02, 2017

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Orientation (5x01/02)

Oh boy. We're back. I freakin' love this show, okay?

Cons:

Where the frickle frackle is Leopold Fitz? Sorry, but seriously where is he? Is it a conflict with the actor or something? When I realized that Fitz didn't get pushed through the monolith with the rest of the gang, I was anxious, but I figured he'd still be showing up at some point. But no! He doesn't appear AT ALL in this two-parter! That is unacceptable!

Pros:

Where to start with this? Okay, the whole premise is just amazing, and I'll tell you why: one of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s big problems is that is needs to fit into the continuity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, meaning that often times when it tries to raise the stakes, we all know that nothing too big can happen, or else it would need to merit mention in the movies themselves. Here, we have a future where the Earth has been torn apart, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. It's a clean slate, a new level upon which to operate. The stakes can get as high as they need to get!

The reveal that they aren't deep in space, but are actually just hovering around the remains of the planet Earth, was a great one. It's not that it's so shocking, it's more that the timing and the buildup was so satisfying to watch unravel. Each of the characters has this moment where the horrible truth sinks in, and it's all equal parts fun and horrible to behold. I like how confused they all are, and how everybody that comes across them is equally confused by their confusion.

Doing a story that takes place in the future means that I automatically start looking for connections. Which of the new characters that we've met are going to be related to somebody from S.H.I.E.L.D.? Is the snarky yet scared Deke a grandson of Fitzsimmons, as I saw some people postulating on Tumblr? Who knows? Why not?

One of the cool things is that this double episode is actually mostly comedic, despite some truly horrifying concepts and scenes, such as when people run around in a free-for-all trying to kill one another to settle their work debts to the Kree. But it's not too dark or gritty or out-of-tone for this show. In fact, if anything it almost reboots it onto a new level tone-wise.

I like getting time with Mack and Yo-Yo. They are extra strength adorable. I'm annoyed at yet another Fitzsimmons separation, but I'm hopeful that it will be temporary. We had lots of great banter, fun action, mysteries, reveals, new characters, and on top of all of that, none of it felt contrived or like shark jumping at all. I'm all in, and excited for what's next!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!