October 14, 2017

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Josh's Ex-Girlfriend Wants Revenge (3x01)

My first Crazy Ex-Girlfriend review! It's been a while since I've started a new show and reviewed it, but here we are! This was a great premiere and it made me really excited to see what else they can do with this wacky show. I know the ratings have been low all along, but I'm glad that the CW has decided to give it another shot anyway.

Cons:

Does it count as a con that I miss Greg a lot? Still? I want him to come back now.

Also, just in general the fake sex tape plot thread was stretching my disbelief just a bit. Which I know is saying a lot for this show. I think it was the Josh Chan look-alike thing that pushed it sliiiightly over the edge for me. A small thing, but I thought I'd mention it.

Pros:

So the main plot is about Rebecca getting revenge on Josh, but all of her ideas suck. She brainstorms with her friends -Valencia, Paula, and Heather. Eventually, they come up with a good plan - Rebecca can sue Josh for abandoning her! My favorite part of this plot thread was Valencia coming up with the plan to sue Josh, then Paula co-opting it and everybody congratulating her and ignoring Valencia. "Am I dead?" *gasp* "How did I die?" Hilarious line delivery. Of course, the song about generalizing men was pretty fantastic, too. I hope we get to see a lot more of these four ladies hanging out together.

Paula's subplot involves her relationship with her husband. She has invited him to move back in, but there are rules where he has to check in every night and take lie detector tests before he's allowed to sleep in the bed. But once they finally have sex again, Paula asks him to call her by the name of the woman he cheated on her with. This is weird for both of them, and in the end Paula gets her mojo back by coming up with the sue Josh plan, and is confident again in her marriage.

I'm glad we did something with this plot thread, because I wouldn't want things to reset back to the way they were before the cheating happened. That wouldn't feel true to the way this show treats these types of issues.

Finally, we've got Darryl and Whi-Jo. I'm just... they're so adorable. The two of them are a bit at odds because Darryl keeps pushing the idea of having kids, and Josh is just not having it. He says he needs to focus on getting his energy bar business of the ground before he can start thinking about anything else, so Darryl goes all out to help him promote it, all in an effort to get closer to thinking about kids. Josh is freaked out by this, and the two go to see a therapist. However, the therapist just sits there and doesn't say anything as the two of them have a mature conversation. Darryl admits that he can go too fast and get too enthusiastic sometimes, but he reminds Josh that this is what he's supposed to love about him. Josh admits that he can be judge-y, and later promises to give the idea of having children some real thought.

This is a good, healthy relationship. It's wacky and strange, but it acts as such a lovely juxtaposition to so much of the unhealthy stuff that goes on with Rebecca.

Oh, I should also give a shout-out to the opening number, which was huge and featured the whole cast dressed up in elaborate costumes. I can't imagine how much of the budget went into that! But it was fantastic. As always, the songs are what push this show to the next level!

I'm excited to be reviewing a new show, and I'm glad it's such a fun one. Hopefully they can keep going past season three, but even if not, I'm glad I've been here for the journey!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!