March 27, 2017

Grey's Anatomy: Till I Hear It From You (13x17)

An episode featuring two really, really annoying characters doing really annoying things. I want to scream. But there were some good bits here and there, too, so...

Cons:

Maggie. Ugh. I really loved Maggie when her character was first introduced, but now? Grumble grumble. She's horrible to her mother because her mom wants a boob job, and then when she finds out the truth that her mother has cancer, she yells at Jackson for keeping it a secret, even though he's legally obligated to do so. There's this moment at the end where Maggie confides in Meredith that her mother is really sick, and she needs some comfort. I was having trouble feeling much sympathy, because Maggie's behavior towards her mother has been inexcusable. I could have handled some ranting and raving where Maggie lets off steam about the weirdness of this situation to her sisters. But for her to treat her mom like crap, then blame Jackson for that later? Not cool, Maggie. Not cool.

Also not cool: Amelia trying to pin the blame for her current life struggles on Owen. For Christ's sake. Owen just wants to know what's going on with his marriage, and Amelia accuses him of smothering her with what he wants. She demands that he explain to her why he wants a baby, accusing him of having something missing in his life that he thinks a baby will fix. She goes on and on about "for better or for worse," and the whole time I'm thinking... um... Amelia, you left him. And Owen has been more than understanding, all things considered. Like, give the dude a break. In no way, shape, or form is he the bad guy here.

We get a brief moment where DeLuca tells Stephanie that he's in love with Jo. I mean, shocker, right? But also, DeLuca is bland, and Jo is bland and kind of just a bad person. What with Stephanie leaving the show after this season, I'm suddenly getting a lot less interested in this particular crop of residents.

Pros:

All that being said, we also got the adorable and tragic tale of two ninety-plus year-old former doctors who have been married to each other for sixty years. Unfortunately, the woman dies by the end, leaving her aged husband to fend for himself for the first time in a long time. It was a bittersweet story about love, and about how there's no secret to making a marriage last. You've just got to choose to stay with the person, over and over again. I could have done without this plot thread being used as a parallel to Amelia and Owen's nonsense, but by itself, I found it quite sweet.

Meredith and Riggs continue to do their back-and-forth, but we make some progress this week. Riggs basically asks Meredith to give him a straight answer, and Meredith says that she feels like she doesn't know Riggs at all. He's always making jokes, and making light of the fact that a lot of people don't like him. He can't come up with a reason why Meredith should give him a chance. Later, he comes to her and says that he can't explain why she should like him, because he can't exactly articulate why he likes her, either. He just does. Meredith tells him to ask her to dinner. I'm happy we're moving forward with this. I mean, yeah, the back-and-forth could be annoying, but it actually reminds me of the early days of Grey's Anatomy, and I find it kind of endearing. I can buy these two as a couple. They've both suffered great losses, and they're both a little hesitant about making strong emotional connections. I want to see more.

This is rather short for a review, especially of this show, but I guess that's really all I've got to say. I'm really annoyed at Amelia and Maggie both, and it makes it hard to enjoy their parts of the episode. I hope things shape up soon...

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!