October 04, 2016

The Big Bang Theory: The Dependence Transcendence (10x03)

So... not a bad episode, actually. But I still feel a tad frustrated by one big thing.

Cons:

The main plot is, unfortunately, where my problem lies. See, Sheldon, Howard, and Leonard are putting in long nights in order to meet the impossible deadline in their government contract. Sheldon spends the episode experiencing the high of his first energy drink, and then worrying about becoming addicted. In the end, however, all of this distraction was merely a way to cover up for the fact that Sheldon is stumped on the math. I liked elements of this, but here comes the annoying part: the three guys go to talk to Colonel Williams about how they can't meet the deadline, and they say they will need two years. He says that's fine. The problem is that the tension and forward motion of this plot instantly goes out the window. I was actually looking forward to sustaining an A-plot of this sort, but now they can put off talking about it for two more seasons of this infernal show. Is it bad that I'm praying really hard that they don't get renewed?

Pros:

That being said, I really liked the initial payoff to all of Sheldon's antics. He wasn't just acting silly and talking about caffeine addiction for no reason. He was procrastinating because he couldn't figure out the math. The moment when Leonard realizes this and immediately goes into comfort-mode was really sweet. If only we could have had more focus on that, instead of tossing the whole plot thread aside.

Penny and Amy's little subplot wasn't anything to get too excited over, but I quite enjoyed it. They go to a party, but they're the only two people to show up. The host, Bert the geologist, is embarrassed at the lack of attendees. He reveals to a shocked Penny that Amy is considered the most popular girl on campus, and that Sheldon is popular too, mostly because he's dating Amy. Like I said, not a lot of meat here, but a few good jokes. I always like it when Penny and Amy spend time together. And Penny's geology pun was pretty great, too!

My favorite plot of the evening was Bernadette and Raj's story. Which is shocking, if you think about it. When was the last time I genuinely praised a Raj-based story-line? I miss the days of not being disgusted by this guy! Basically, Raj wants to help Bernadette set up the baby's room, but Bernadette is just not into it. After yelling at Raj when he pushes her about paint colors, Bernadette confesses that she doesn't feel excited about being a mom, and she's worried she never will. Raj calls his dad to ask him to give Bernadette some advice. He promises that even if Bernadette isn't a baby person, she'll love her own baby.

This was really sweet - Raj and Bernadette have an interesting relationship, since there's always this edge of competition between them, as they vie for Howard's attention. But Raj loves Bernie - he wants to help and be involved however he can. Also, it's rather refreshing to hear Bernadette talk about the bad sides of having a baby. Her career is in a good place, and she and Howard didn't have a chance to travel before having a kid. As a woman in her twenties with no intention of having children, I really liked hearing this side of the debate. Of course Bernadette will love her baby, but it doesn't mean everything about it is ideal.

That's what I've got. I actually liked most everything in this episode. I'm mostly just disappointed that the Howard, Sheldon, and Leonard plot thread is being shoved aside. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, and they will keep this plot going?

8.5/10

1 comment:

  1. Sheldon admitting that he couldn't do the math was a big moment for me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!