September 30, 2016

Grey's Anatomy: Catastrophe and the Cure (13x02)

I'm really liking this season so far. But I miss Arizona. Are we going to see her soon? My efforts to be brief might be thwarted today, but I'm going to try...

Cons:

Maggie and Meredith. I'm sorry, I just... I don't care about the love triangle, and I'm kind of mad at Meredith for not coming clean to Maggie. But then I'm also annoyed at Maggie for being so whiny and self-centered, talking about Riggs all the time. Maggie does get the courage to ask Riggs out, but he had pre-warning from Meredith and immediately says no, trying to let her down easy by saying that he's not ready to date anybody right now. Meredith tells Alex that she slept with Riggs, and Alex looks on with amusement as Maggie shows up, ready to drink away her sorrows at getting rejected. This keeps getting more complicated, and while I know that this kind of plot line is typical fare for a show like Grey's Anatomy, I think it's just bothering me because it seems so petty compared to everything else that's going on.

Pros:

Alex is charged with a felony and might go to prison. Meredith continually stands by his side, trying to encourage DeLuca to accept Alex's apology. Unfortunately, Andrew takes this as a threat, like Meredith is planning to withhold surgeries if DeLuca doesn't drop the charges. I like the fact that Meredith is doing her best to be loyal to her friend, but even she knows that Alex is in the wrong, here. After that unfortunate exchange with DeLuca, she goes out of her way to give him a surgery so he knows that she won't treat him with disfavor just because he's suing her best friend. I also love (although it makes me sad) the continuing development of Alex's self-loathing. He really thought he had reformed himself, but now he's back to thinking of himself as garbage. Bailey reinforces this as well, basically expressing her disappointment that the "most improved' surgeon Alex Karev has fallen back into old behavior patterns.

Alex gets taken off of a case when he misses a sign that a young kid's new kidney is failing. As if he didn't have enough to deal with! Alex's exchanges with this patient are really touching, and it makes for a good transition into Bailey's decision - she doesn't fire Alex, but instead moves him to work in the Denny Duquette Clinic (been a while since we've heard that name!) because Alex is really good with patients. I think this was a smart choice on Bailey's part, and more than gracious of her not to just dump him on his ass. That being said, even though I know Alex was in the wrong I'm still holding out hope for him.

Jo and Alex seem to be done, as Jo cannot forgive Alex for what happened, especially in light of her own past with abuse. I want Alex and Jo to both be happy, but it's no secret to anybody reading this that I haven't been a fan of their relationship for the past season or so. Stephanie gets more best friend points for staying with Jo even when Jo said it was okay for her to leave.

In terms of the more light-hearted plots, I did enjoy Amelia's attempts to reconcile Riggs and Owen. She's a fixer. She fixes things. She invites Riggs over, and Owen drags Maggie and Meredith into it to act as buffers. The event ends with Riggs and Owen sitting silent and uncomfortable on the couch. Hey, at least we've moved on from hatred to just general awkwardness! I'm a sucker for strong platonic relationships on TV shows, especially when they're treated as being just as important as the romantic ones. Grey's, for all that it has a lot of romances, has really shone on these types of platonic bonds. I think it could be really fun to see these two repair a broken relationship and get back to being close. I'm all for it. I also enjoy seeing Amelia as the stable one. She might be a bit meddlesome, but she and Owen are settling down to married life perfectly fine!

Quick humor shout-out: Bailey enlists an eager Richard Webber to be her "mole" and find out what the interns are saying. He name-drops Hercules Mulligan, which I have to assume is a side-eyed reference to Hamilton, because Hercules Mulligan was not exactly a house-hold name before a certain Broadway sensation came around.

April and Jackson's subplot was quite lovely. Due to post-surgical complications, April has to stay in the hospital a bit longer, but baby Harriet is all set to go home. April is very emotional about her baby bonding with other people while she's in recovery, and Jackson wants to help. However, April says she needs boundaries, and won't allow Jackson to be her emotional support. Some advice from Richard causes Jackson to push a little harder, and he gets April to consider the idea of living with Jackson for a little bit, so they can both be involved with the baby while April recovers from her rough birth.

April has been a surprising delight over the past two weeks. She's so adorable and funny when in distress. I loved the part when she told Jackson that he should just leave because she was going to keep crying and die of dehydration. I guess giving birth makes people hormonal. Who knew. This show has done a lot of will they/won't they relationships, but I really admire the way it occasionally sticks to its guns with ended relationships. Most notably I'm talking about Arizona and Callie. However, in the case of Japril, I really do think the show is gunning for an end-game reconciliation. And I'm all for it. The Jackson/April story lines on this show have been hit and miss for me, but through it all I guess I've really come to love them as a couple. Jackson just clearly loves her so much!

Okay! That wasn't too bad, was it? I breezed right through it. I'm enjoying this Alex plot a lot, even though it's devastating as hell. The Maggie/Riggs/Meredith stuff isn't doing as much for me, but I love the characters enough that I'm willing to be patient.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!