April 03, 2015

Castle: Habeas Corpse (7x19)

I'm going to be ridiculously brief in my plot summary. Apologies in advance.

A personal injury lawyer winds up dead, and this takes the team into the world of seedy, corrupt lawyers looking to score a quick buck off of somebody else's misery. In the end, Castle and Beckett wind up finding a body buried in the woods - only it's not a body, but a crash test dummy that would have led to big money for another lawyer if it had been examined.

Much more importantly, there's a talent show going on in the police department! Esposito and Ryan are the reigning champs for the past two years, and they are ready for a third. Castle isn't allowed to compete, since he's not a cop. However, when the celebrity guest falls through, Gates asks Castle to step in. Castle agrees, but only if he and Beckett are allowed to compete together. Castle bets Ryan and Espo that he and Beckett will beat them in the competition. Esposito fakes an injury to make it seem like Castle will have an easy time of winning, so they up the stakes. Then, Beckett and Castle see Espo and Ryan practicing their routine and learn that Espo isn't really hurt.

Beckett and Castle practice their own routine, but Beckett reveals to Martha that she gets terrible stage fright when she's in front of other people. She doesn't want to do this, but she doesn't want to let Castle down. Turns out, Beckett and Castle have to miss the competition anyway, so Beckett is spared the embarrassment. Ryan and Espo win! Castle declines to perform the routine with Beckett in order to prove that theirs is better. Turns out, he overheard Beckett talking about her stage fright with Martha, and he didn't want to put her through that.

So. What did I not like about this episode? Well, the case itself couldn't really keep my attention. I never watch procedurals for the case, though. There was nothing wrong with it, per say, but there were a few twists that felt very predictable, such as the discovery that the body was actually a crash test dummy. I knew it wasn't going to be an actual corpse.

What did I love about this episode? Everything about the talent show. At first I was a little miffed that we didn't get to see the actual talent show, but then I realized that that might be a little too over the top. Instead, we got these wonderful hints. Ryan and Espo's routine was hilarious. I just love the thought of the two of them listening to Daft Punk and coming up with that whole little dance. And then there's the shower scene at the end of the episode, where we get to hear Castle and Beckett do their routine. They sing and dance together, and it looks so adorable! It's the perfect amount of teasing. I wanted more, but I felt like it was just for them to share in their own private little world.

I also loved the way that Beckett wanted to push through her crippling stage fright to give Castle what he wanted. That was so sweet! And Castle was also so sweet to give up what he wanted to make her more comfortable. I just loved how lighthearted and adorable this whole plot thread was.

I think that's all I've got. Sorry this was so brief. What a fun, simple episode!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!