December 28, 2014

Elementary: End of Watch (3x08)

Wow, sorry this is so late. Also sorry this review isn't going to be very coherent or detailed.

Basically, this episode is about the murder of a police officer. Sherlock, Joan and Kitty are called in to investigate. Through several twists and turns, another death of a police officer, the discovery of a drug ring, etc., the truth comes out. The first cop was actually involved in some illegal activity, and it got him killed.

Far more interesting, unfortunately, than the actual murder case, was Sherlock's meetings. He discovers that someone is taking quotes that he says in his private meetings and posting them online to help inspire other drug addicts to do better. With Kitty's help, he tracks down the person who is doing it and threatens to expose his secrets if he does not take it down. Sherlock says he needs the anonymity in the meetings in order to feel like they are working. Unfortunately, his faith in the system seems to be shaken - he does not choose to say anything at the next meeting.

I know that was the briefest of all plot summaries. I'm sorry. I do have a lot of problems with this episode, actually.

First of all, the murder of police officers is just the tiniest bit of a complicated issue right now. I know the show couldn't properly go into that, but I sort of wish they could have. It makes me uncomfortable to brush over some real-life issues that are so totally relevant here.

Also, on a story-telling note, I didn't really feel like Gregson and Bell were properly written here. This is one of the few episodes of this show that have actually been about the police department, but I didn't feel a connection to these characters, mostly because I felt like Joan, Sherlock, and Kitty were so divested from the story.

Joan didn't have a lot to do in this one, either. That's not necessarily a problem, but she was such a supportive part of Sherlock's recovery that it felt weird for her not to be involved in this newest drama with the meetings.

The good stuff mainly happens in the subplot with the meetings. It surprises me that they don't utilize the meetings more often, because they give such a good excuse for a Sherlock monologue, and those are always done so well. I loved the idea that Sherlock has put his faith in this system, and he's worried about it breaking. The idea that he stands out, even in this place of anonymity, is frightening to him. Also, I loved the fact that Kitty got involved, because she too goes to meetings now (of a different sort) and she wants them to be a helpful place for Sherlock as well as for herself.

I think that's all I'm going to write. I do apologize for my brevity, but I've been a little overwhelmed lately.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!