January 21, 2014

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Seeds (1x12)

Yay! Lots of Fitzsimmons. If this show can just be about Fitzsimmons now, I'll be happy. Seriously. Who cares about Skye and Ward? Let us discuss the plot!

So, at the S.H.I.E.L.D. academy, some kids almost get frozen by an instantly freezing pool. Ward, Skye, and Fitzsimmons go to investigate. Fitz and Simmons are pretty much celebrities at the academy, while Ward, who is from Operations instead of Sciences, is bemused at Fitzsimmon's popularity. While the two scientists are giving a lecture, another freezing incident occurs. They are able to save Donnie, the almost-victim. Donnie and Fitz spend some time together, and Fitz learns that Donnie is the youngest guy to come through the academy since Fitzsimmons themselves. Fitz helps Donnie with a project, but Simmons, Ward, and Skye have just discovered that Donnie was actually behind the attacks.

In fact, the whole thing was a scheme to get Fitzsimmons to come to the school to help them complete their freezing device. Who is this device for, you ask? Well, Ian Quinn. Donnie and his friend/accomplice Seth try to put it to use, but it backfires and Seth ends up losing his life in the process. Coulson angrily calls Quinn and tells him to watch his step, but Quinn gives the ominous message that the Clairvoyant says hello.

While Fitzsimmons, Ward, and Skye are at the academy, May and Coulson are busy tracking down an agent with connections to Skye's past. They learn that Skye was actually an 0-8-4 (unidentified object) and that an entire village was slaughtered trying to protect Skye. May warns Coulson not to tell Skye, but Coulson, uncomfortable hiding the truth because of his own experiences being lied to by S.H.I.E.L.D., decides to tell her. Skye is upset, but Coulson remarks to May that he's surprised by how she took it - instead of having her faith in the world crushed, instead she felt new hope, knowing that S.H.I.E.L.D. had been trying to protect her.

So, let's start with the negative aspects.

- Skye's story. I'm sorry, I am. The reveal that Skye is an 0-8-4 could have been a really intense and powerful moment. But the thing is, I don't really care about Skye as a person. When Coulson was waxing poetic about her positive energy and all that, I didn't feel any particular affinity for her character. I'll reserve judgment, because it could be a cool idea to have her be an 0-8-4. But as it stands now, I'm not impressed.

- May lets slip to Coulson that she's been sleeping with Ward. Now, this was sort of funny in the moment, but later it just reminded me of one of my biggest problems with this show. There are too many secrets. And they seem to be secrets just for secret's sake. In the case of May and Ward, it seems like when everyone finds out about their relationship, it will make Skye feel jealous, and we'll have to deal with that for a while... I don't know. It's all a bit tedious.

But there were nice things about this episode, too!

- I actually thought the case was fairly good. Bringing Ian Quinn into this one was a good move. He's a properly menacing villain and I am at least mildly interested in finding out how he's connected to the Clairvoyant. The kids, Donnie and Seth, were pretty fun to watch.

- Fitzsimmons as celebrities! I loved all of the stuff with them at the academy, and how they're respected as the smartest people to come through the school. This is a great way to develop their characters even further. Among the team, Fitzsimmons are the least experienced with field work (besides Skye, of course), and they are often put in positions to seem vulnerable or even useless because of it. Now we see that these two young scientists are extraordinarily important and powerful in their own right. I enjoyed exploring that aspect more.

Okay, I think that's all I've got! More and more with this show, I'm noticing that episodes focusing on Fitzsimmons are good, and others are less than impressive. I think maybe they picked the wrong characters to be their protagonists!

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!